I made some tasty paleo banana bread awhile back and had been staring at the leftover black bananas in my freezer for quite some time. I decided to conduct a little experiment.
With last week being Valentine’s and all (and our 1-year wedding anniversary), I figured it would be appropriate to use our nonstick heart-shaped muffin molds. Muffins in the shape of little hearts – the surefire way to a man’s heart…right?
Paleo Banana “Love Muffins”
– 1 cup almond flour
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 2 over-ripe bananas, mashed
– 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
– 1/4 cup maple syrup
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 2 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. If you’re not using non-stick, adorable muffin molds, be sure to spray the muffin pan with non-stick spray.
2. Combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Add mashed bananas, maple syrup, egg whites, vanilla, and Greek yogurt to a separate bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until completely combined.
5. Spoon into muffin molds (only about halfway up) and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Test doneness by inserting a toothpick in your muffins – if it comes out clean, they’re done. Note that almond meal doesn’t rise as much as regular flour. If you wanted to go the non-paleo route, your muffins would turn out a bit more fluffy.
I’m no baker, but these turned out surprisingly tasty! So tasty, in fact, that the hubs had already eaten 2 of them before I could get my camera out to snap a photo 🙂