Wow. Summer is flying by even though it feels as though it has barely begun up here in the northern states. I’m doing my darndest to soak up every ounce of sunshine I can while it lasts. Lots of grilling, outdoor running/biking, and the occasional patio happy hour session.
Every year over the 4th of July holiday, we spend time with my fam up at their lake home in Turtle Lake, Wisconsin. This year we were able to spend 4 full days relaxing and enjoying the perfect weather. The addition of the new “Relaxation Station” turned out to be one of the best ideas ever!
Per the norm, there were LOTS of fireworks in our back yard, beergaritas, tons of grilling, and waaaaaay to much food. Our fun-filled weekend also included a 10k run, a Corvette joyride, mini donuts and Ferris wheel rides, rocking out to live music, and campfire guitar playing/singing. LOVE.
This year I decided to contribute to the sweet treats and for some reason felt the need to be patriotic. I also love me a good fruit pizza. This is super charming and can be whipped up in no time.
4th of July Fruit ‘Za
Roll of pre-made sugar cookie dough (16 oz)
1 container strawberries
½ cup blueberries
1 Hershey’s chocolate bar
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup granulated Splenda
8 oz cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread the sugar cookie dough over a cookie sheet. Ideally you’d have a small enough cookie sheet to cover the entire thing. As you can see, I did not.
- Bake cookie dough 10-13 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Soften cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, Splenda, and sugar until smooth.
- Remove cookie from the oven and allow to cool before applying the frosting.
- Spread cream cheese frosting over the entire cookie.
- Cut strawberries into halves. Top your cookie with blueberries and strawberries, along with your Hershey’s chocolate for the flag pole.
How fun is that? Almost too cute to eat. Well maybe not – I think I had 4 pieces in about 5 minutes.
What’s your favorite holiday-themed dessert?