There’s something pretty fantastic about a warm summer night and the smell of charcoal in your back yard. I was in the mood to get a little creative last week so I stopped by the grocery store on my way home and picked out a few of my absolute fave ingredients.
These little “pizzas” keep things low-carb while still giving you a comfort food fix. They’re also a super simple weeknight grill meal that require hardly any prep time. Win!
4 large portobello mushroom caps
Organic garlic pizza sauce
1. Cut the stems off of your portobellos and scoop out the gills with a spoon.
2. Coat the outside of the mushrooms with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Toss your bellas on the grill. Give them a couple of minutes to heat up but don’t wait too long or they will start to shrink up.
4. Spread on pizza sauce. Add fresh basil, sun-dried tomatoes, and top with goat cheese.
5. Cook for 2-3 minutes covered or until goat cheese begins to melt.
6. Remove from grill and enjoy!
These tasted absolutely fabulous. Maybe I’m a bit biased – I could seriously eat goat cheese off a piece of cardboard and think it was gourmet – but the hubs liked them too so that’s gotta say something. 🙂 Next time I’d add some protein to make them a bit more filling. Cubed prosciutto or diced chicken would be tasty!
Do you ever make anything out of the ordinary on the grill?